Sunday, September 19, 2010

Samphire

I would like to share with you what's new and different tastes as I tried last summer.
While we were on holiday in
Turkey, fish restaurant served me a salad of samphire / sampfayr. Seems like algae. I found its name, watching my favourite cooking channel. Etymology of the name is associated with a saint, the patron saint of fishermen / Fr . "Saint Pierre" / (Saint Peter)

This plant loves the salty and rocky soil, grows near the sea / ocean and is also called " sea asparagus ". Occurs along the coast of Britain and Eurasia. In Wales there are targets for grazing sheep, where this sea asparagus also be used as a side dish of roasted lamb.

It is interesting to mention that also has facilitated the manufacture of glass, soap and biofuel
..

No comments:

Post a Comment